I have been using Opera as a mail client and as a substitute browser from last 4 years. I have got habituated with that software. But the only thing that I was always worried about is Rich Text mail composing. It seems like Opera people may not add this feature in at least next 1 year.
So I searched a bit about what is the best mail client. BTW I use Ubuntu Linux. So Outlook etc is not at all an option for me. I used Opera even when I was using Windows XP also.
The only alternative I got is Thunderbird. Then I started using thunderbird for 4 days. After 4 days of use, I felt like my Opera is much better than this. Here is what I found.
Advantages of Thunderbird over Opera:
- Rich Text Editor for composing mails
- Support Digital Certificates
- You can use Filters to move an incoming mail to “Sent” folder.
- Custom Labels
- Open any mail as new in Compose View
- No Attachments Filters
- No Labels Filters
- No way to see yesterdays messages
- No way to see messages sent by a contact
- Add to Contacts list sucks, It doesn’t even check duplicates
- No customization of Toolbar
- No Browser, You need to launch Firefox to see any link in the mail.
- No Saved Searches
- No integrated contact list
- No Filters as Folders
I have realised that Opera is much much better than Thunderbird if you check mails more than 10 times a day. If you check only once and do not have any filters, use Thunderbird.
Finally I switched back to Opera.