Environment: Collective Action: Inevitable failure
According to the recent article that I read http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/global-warmings-terrifying-new-math-2012071 we doing some thing very bad. We are killing our environment in such a way that never happened in the history of mankind. There are couple of solutions that were discussed in that article. And after reading all of them I found that most of them will fail.
All of these solutions need some things which we never know how to do.
- Think about the future(beyond 10 years)
- Think about the collective loss than individual gain
- Change the lifestyle
Even though I am normally optimist (My brother thinks I am pessimist compared to him), my optimism is only about myself. I believe it is very unlikely to do any of the above. Here are some things which I think wont happen.
- Developing countries will not agree to reduce their environmental damage (India and China)
- Developed countries will not agree to cut their damage if developing countries continues to do the damage
I don’t see any political stage for environment in India. Here we are still fighting with things like corruption, lack of education, lack of proper governance and many more problems. Even though most of them are silly when we think of environment. But I am sure 99% of Indians do not agree with me, or even if they agree they will not be ready to take the right decision.
So the question now is, provided that it is evident that the environment will be damaged, food shortage will be there, riots and large scale unrest will be there, heat and cold will increase” what I need to do now?
I have 2 options.
- Plan for those things, and protect myself from them
- Start educating people about the problems, and try to see that we can prevent such things. Even though this is hopeless, this has to be done.
Guys, what are your suggestions for protecting from such future?