Even though I consider my self as bad teacher, education is one of my favorite topic. From last 20 years, I have been very irritated with our current education system.
Here are the problems I see…
- They will teach, you will listen, but no one cares if you really understand.
- No one cares what you like, just follow the schedule.
- Everything about remembering. Nothing to do with understanding.
- Everything is only theory, no real life significance.
- Nothing on Morals, Religion and humanity
- Nothing about Crime and Punishment
- Nothing related to social issues like poverty, hunger etc.
Recently I happened to check some sample test for Civils(IAS). I found that 99% of all those question can be answered by remembering stuff. Which Google can do much better than any one of those selected candidates.
I agree that provided all other skills are same, the person with biggest memory can do things much better. But I see that 90% of testing is based on memory. So how will they judge if the the candidates are same in all other aspects?
I am myself an example. I don’t remember anything. I hardly know 5 authors names. But I have read many books. I don’t remember more than 5 mobile numbers. I don’t even remember my bike or car registration number. But I am good(surly above average) at analytics. Given any context you can bet on me for asking the right(in%) questions, taking right(in %) decisions. I know people whose 2 to 4 years of life is being wasted just for remembering stuff that they never use.
How to fix
- Reduce dependency on memory and increase on analysis and problem solving.
- Make sure students understand, not just listen, remember and write.
- Make sure students like what they are learning. Create curiosity and improve self learning.
- Create practical experience. Let them use what they have learnt. As much as possible.
- Create subjects “Morality, Religion” etc. Make sure they are more important then Math and Science.
- Lets students know the real world problems, and explain the reasons. They will find the solution.
I know these are very easy to tell and very difficult to do. I will be preparing detailed plans on this and will let you know. If you have any suggestions on how we can implement these points, do share with me.